ORANGE, APRICOT & PISTACHIO POLENTA CAKE
Polenta cake is one of my absolute favourites, especially this version which is superbly moist. I have used orange juice, dried apricots and chopped pistachios for extra flavour and bite. On the baked cake I have drizzled a honey and orange glaze over pistachios and orange zest. The result is the perfect sweet and sticky but light cake.
This recipe is: Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Refined Sugar Free and Vegan.
1 Cup / 160g Quick Cook Polenta
1/2 Cup / 65g Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour
1/2 Cup / 50g Ground Almonds
1 Cup / 135g Coconut Palm Sugar
1/4 Cup Xylitol
1/2 Cup / 110g Chopped Dried Apricots (Sulphur Free)
1/4 Cup / 25g Pistachios, chopped
2 Tablespoons Custard Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
A Pinch of Salt
1 1/4 Cups / 280g Fresh Orange Juice
1/2 Cup / 100gCoconut Oil, melted
2 Teaspoons Orange Zest
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Combine all the dry ingredients (apart from the baking soda) in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
2. Mix the orange juice with the baking soda till foaming and dissolved, then add along with the melted coconut oil and the orange zest. Mix till smooth, whisking if you feel necessary.
3. Pour the batter in a small lined cake tin and bake for 30minutes, then turn the oven down to 160 C and cover the cake with foil then cook for a further 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
4. Once cooled for 30 minutes, place on a serving plate upside down and poke about 20 holes in the cake with a skewer for the drizzle to soak into.
INGREDIENTS FOR GLAZE:
1/2 Orange, Zest & Juice
2 Tablespoons honey
Pistachios to decorate
1. Sprinkle a generous portion of pistachios over the cake. I used whole but you could chop yours if you prefer.
2. In a pot combine the orange juice and zest along with the honey till melted, then drizzle over cake.
3. I served mine with a can of coconut cream which I whisked with some coconut nectar and a little vanilla essence. You can make a thick cream by using only the solid coconut and draining the coconut water out (save it and use the water in a smoothy or juice).